Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Executive Director
Time & Duration: This is a full-time position with benefits
Salary Scale: $75,000-95,000 (based on qualifications)
Adhikaar for Human Rights and Social Justice
Adhikaar, meaning rights in Nepali, is a New York-based nonprofit organization working with Nepali-speaking communities to promote human rights and social justice for all. Established in 2005, Adhikaar is the only organization providing essential services and mobilizing the Nepali-speaking community to raise our voices and take collective action against injustices on issues affecting us. We achieve this through organizing, community education, grassroots advocacy, leadership development, and direct services. Our program areas are workers’ rights, immigrant rights, access to healthcare, and language justice.
This position offers the opportunity to support the mission of an established nonprofit in a dynamic, fast-paced, team-based environment. The Finance Director manages the organization’s finances and funding streams, including philanthropic and governmental grants. They will guide the financial strategy of the organization and manage Adhikaar’s financial team, including consultants such as CPA, Auditor and CFO-on-the-Go, to achieve goals and objectives. They will be part of the organization’s Management Team, which reports to the Executive Director (“ED”), and participate in overall strategic decision-making at the organization.
The responsibilities for the Finance Director will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Finance Management, Budgeting and Administration
- Lead and be responsible for all financial planning and budget management functions including the daily operations of finances and accounting;
- Manage finance team members including staff, consultants and interns;
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED. This includes the creation of the annual budget in a timely manner, working with program and campaign directors on annual program budgets, and administering and reviewing all financial plans;
- Maintain and monitor progress and changes to the budget including forecasting expenses and revenue;
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner:
- Proactively raising critical financial matters to the ED;
- Clearly communicate quarterly financial statements to the ED and Treasurer;
- Develop and present bi-annual financial statements to the Board;
- Ensure Adhikaar has a regular cadence of compliance monitoring and internal controls that identify gaps and put in place remediation:
- Ensure Adhikaar is in compliance with local, state, and federal budgetary reporting requirements;
- Update and implement all necessary financial policies and accounting practices, including ongoing improvement of the finance department’s overall policy and procedures.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors, ED and Treasurer and assess any necessary changes;
- Serve as primary contact for program staff regarding budget-related issues including quarterly updates on program spending;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date digital finance files including documentation of contracts, monthly financial reports, and payroll reports;
- Provide support for Adhikaar’s fundraising efforts, including special events;
- Perform other related duties as required as a Director.
- Lead finance and budgets components of grant proposals and reporting;
- Ensure complete documentation of funding awards, support grant-related proposals, budgets, and reporting as needed; review financial reports from the Accountant of the organization, including balance sheets, monthly and annual financial statements, and financial reporting for donors;
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting for all grant and funding sources, including Government funding; this includes implementation of related tracking systems, tools and financial components of funder portals;
- Work with project directors to comply with funder’s terms and conditions, monitor spending, request amendments, and plan spend-out;
- Work with CFO on the Go and CPA on monthly/quarterly government vouchers; and
- Ensure that financial reporting and reimbursements for grants are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure accuracy of each month’s accounting;
- Ensure proper cash control for disbursing, collecting, analyzing, verifying, and reporting cash status this includes monitor all bank and other investment accounts;
- Implement a robust financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements;
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of adp payroll, payables, deposits, billings in QuickBooks, updating bill.com and other tracking and payables/receivables systems as needed;
- Manage petty cash deposits and ensure accounting of cash is completed for CPA;
- Reconcile reimbursements, monitor expenses and update the finance team as needed;
- Support CPA to to ensure reconcilation of monthly bank accounts, credit card expenses, lobbying expenses and all other financial information monthly and quarterly for ED and Board review; and
- Support CPA with documents and materials needed for monthly financial reporting including information for monthly reconciliation and quarterly reporting.
* Candidates who do not meet the requirements are encouraged to apply as the position can be adapted for a manager role.
- Demonstrates commitment to Adhikaar’s mission and vision;
- Sophisticated funding and federal grant accounting and/or management experience;
- At least 5 years of direct experience in finance, budgeting and accounting preferably in non-profit financial management. An Educational background in finance or accounting or related field may be considered to complement past relevant work experience;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and those with a wide variety of professional backgrounds, skills and experiences;
- Excellent skills in QuickBooks online, Bill.com, spreadsheets, and data management systems, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and ability to learn new tools as needed;
- Demonstrated skills in project management, research/data and tracking;
- Ability to work in a team as well as lead independent projects;
- High level of attention to detail;
- Available for travel and work engagement after-hours on an as-needed basis;
- English fluency.
- Work experience in a non-profit setting; organizing, advocacy and/or service entity;
- Experience working either directly in government or with government-facing institutions;
- An understanding of the political landscape and political analysis of workers rights, immigrant rights, and gender justice issues;
- BA/BS degree in financial management, accounting or related field;
- Nepali language abilities and additional skills in Tibetan language.
HOW TO APPLY:
- The priority deadline for applications is June 15, 2022. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and until the position is filled.
- Please email your resume, cover letter, desired annual salary, and 3 references to email@example.com. Indicate “Director of Finance” in the subject line. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
*Adhikaar is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusiveness among its staff.