Title: Organizer, Domestic Workers
Reports to: Director of Organizing and Program
Time & Duration: This is a full-time position with benefits
Salary Scale: $40,000-50,000
Adhikaar for Human Rights and Social Justice
Adhikaar, meaning rights in Nepali, is a New York-based nonprofit organization working with Nepali-speaking communities to promote human rights and social justice for all. Established in 2005, Adhikaar is the only organization providing essential services and mobilizing the Nepali-speaking community to raise our voices and take collective action against injustices on issues affecting us. We achieve this through organizing, community education, grassroots advocacy, leadership development, and direct services. Our program areas are workers’ rights, immigrant rights, access to healthcare, and language justice. It is a fast-paced office with many programs going on at once and the right candidate will thrive in such an environment.
The Organizer will be responsible for organizing and the daily management of Adhikaar’s Domestic workers programs and campaigns. The Organizer will support other program areas as needed. The Organizer will report directly to the Director of Organizing and Program for the overall work, and work closely with other relevant staff, fellows and interns as needed. The Organizer will work closely with Adhikaar’s growing staff in program development, implementation, and evaluation.
The responsibilities for the Organizer will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate Adhikaar’s Domestic workers strategy and organizing including the completion of team work-plans;
- Facilitate the development and growth of members’ leadership. This includes but is not limited to the coordination of regular meetings, trainings, workforce development activities, and actions;
- Develop relationships and recruit new members to engage in campaigns and programmatic work;
- Lead community outreach, mobilization, events, actions and other activities;
- Participate in coalition and collaborations (with Nepali and non-Nepali groups) at the city, state and national level related to program;
- Build relationships with government agencies and elected officials for program and campaign work;
- Recruit and manage fellows, interns and volunteers;
- Lead regular reporting and tracking of programmatic deliverables and progress;
- Recruit, train and mobilize volunteers.
- Cases, as needed, including but not limited to intake, building legal connections, relevant follow-up and interpretation/translation needs;
- In answering phone inquiries, assisting with walk-ins, conducting workshops, and resource collection;
- The Development & Research Manager on grant-related proposals and reporting as needed;
- The Communications Coordinator to improve overall database of members and contacts
- Provide language assistance;
- Provide support for Adhikaar’s special events;
- Support Adhikaar’s fundraising efforts.
- Demonstrates commitment to Adhikaar’s mission and vision;
- At least 2-3 years of experience in community organizing or at a service-based grassroots organization;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and a wide variety of professional backgrounds and experiences;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team as well as lead independent projects;
- Must be available for travel and work after-hours, on weekends and on an as-needed basis;
- Competence in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, as well as social media tools;
- Bi-lingual: Nepali and English; additional skills in Tibetan a plus.
- Experience providing individual services, advocating for groups working in coalitions;
- An understanding of the political landscape and political analysis of workers rights, immigrant rights, and gender justice issues;
- English written communication skills;
- Educational background in social work, law, or a related field might be considered to complement past organizing, service work or non-profit work.
HOW TO APPLY:
- The deadline for applications is May 15, 2022, however, we will accept applications till the position is filled;
- Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate your desired annual salary;
- Indicate “Domestic Worker Organizer” in the subject line;
- No inquiries. We will reach out after May 1 if you are invited for an interview;
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
*Adhikaar is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusiveness among its staff.