Title: Organizer (Youth and Immigration)
Reports to: Senior Organizer (Youth and Immigration)
Time: This is a full-time position with benefits (3-months probationary period at the beginning of contract)
Salary: Up to USD $55,000 / year
Adhikaar for Human Rights and Social Justice
Adhikaar, meaning rights in Nepali, is a New York-based nonprofit organization working with
Nepali-speaking communities to promote human rights and social justice for all. Established in 2005, Adhikaar is the only organization mobilizing the Nepali-speaking community in the New York area to raise our voices and take collective action against injustices on issues affecting us through organizing, community education, grassroots advocacy, leadership development, and individual assistance. We work in four program areas: workers’ rights, immigrant rights, language justice and access to healthcare. It is a fast-paced environment with many programs going on at once and the right candidate will thrive in such an environment.
The Organizer will be responsible for organizing and the daily management of Adhikaar’s youth program, and support the immigration program. The Organizer will support other program areas as needed. The Organizer will report directly to the Senior Organizer (Immigration, Youth) for the overall work, and work closely with other relevant staff, fellows and interns as needed. The Organizer will work closely with Adhikaar’s growing staff in program development, implementation, and evaluation.
The responsibilities for the Organizer will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for organizing Youth (ages 14-24) which includes base building efforts, educational efforts, and engaging them in workshops, events and campaigns.
- Track youth contact information, experiences, and concerns to support the evaluation and improvement of the Youth program.
- Plan biweekly meetings, support in building agenda for various meetings and training and lead in facilitating youth meetings.
- Conduct regular phone banking and other follow up needs.
- Support with development of materials (print, video, etc.) for community education.
- Assist staff with leadership development of youth members.
- Support Senior Organizer in creating quarterly reports and evaluations for the Youth program.
- Keep all the information gathered in the course of your work confidential. This includes but is not limited to discussing or sharing it with anyone other than appropriate Adhikaar personnel or their designees.
- Support organizing members in NY including but not limited to:
- Recruitment and retention of members;
- Development of member leaders;
- Building relationships with local organizations to support the needs of directly impacted members; and
- Hosting workshops, town halls, and direct actions for campaign
- Support Senior Organizer in design and implementation of a strategic plan around organizing TPS holders nationally.
- Tracking Nepali TPS holders’ information, experiences, and concerns to support the evaluation and improvement of the campaign/
- Support organizing workshops, town halls, rallies and actions.
- Demonstrates commitment to Adhikaar’s mission and vision
- At least 2-3 years of experience in community organizing or at a service-based grassroots organization
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and a wide variety of professional backgrounds and experiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a team as well as lead independent projects
- Competence in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Powerbase as well as social media tools
- Bi-lingual: Nepali and English; additional skills in Tibetan a plus
- Experience providing individual services, advocating for groups working in coalitions
- An understanding of the political landscape and political analysis of workers rights, immigrant rights, and gender justice issues
- Proficient English written communication skills
- Educational background in social work, law, or a related field might be considered in lieu of past organizing, service work or non-profit work
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Immigration & Youth Organizer Application” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Application Deadline: June 30th, 2023.
*Adhikaar is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusiveness among its staff.